On Monday, October 16, at 05.22 UTC on the block 4,370,000 in the Ethereum network, the previously planned hardfork was implemented.
Hard fork celebration! pic.twitter.com/mL1ZyJOYeA
— Vitalik Buterin (@VitalikButerin) 16 октября 2017 г.
Byzantium's hard work has made the following changes to the Ethereum blockchain:
- delayed the "complexity bomb" for another 18 months;
- speed of blocks confirmation increased;
- Reduced the reward for the block from 5 to 3 ETH;
- added zk-SNARK elements, which are designed to introduce new privacy features, currently found in crypto-currencies such as Zcash;
- expanded the capabilities of the virtual machine Ethereum, etc.
The Metropolis hardfork was first introduced on the Ethereum roadmap in 2015. Byzantium is the first part of a major upgrade of Metropolis. Before activating of Metropolis in thenext year, there will be another second, which will be called Constantinople.