Ethereum Team made an official announcement regarding the upcoming Byzantium hardfork.
[Blog] Byzantium Hard Fork Announcement. Update your clients! https://t.co/rlIHvUspjW
— Ethereum (@ethereumproject) 12 октября 2017 г.
Now hardfork is planned on the to occur between 12:00 UTC and 13:00 UTC on Monday, October 16, 2017. (on the block 4,370,000)
Additionally, here's the list of official recommendation for user:
Download the latest version of your Ethereum client:
- Latest version of Ethereum Wallet/Mist.
- Latest geth client (v 1.7.1)
- Latest Parity client (v 1.7.4)
- Latest Harmony client (v 2.1.0)
Users of desktop or mobile wallets, such as Jaxx or MyEtherWallet, is necessary to clarify with their providers, whether they will upgrade infrastructure on the eve of hardfork.
Main features of upcoming Byzantium:
- Addition of ‘REVERT’ opcode, which permits error handling without consuming all gas
- Transaction receipts now include a status field to indicate success or failure
- Elliptic curve addition and scalar multiplication on alt_bn128 and pairing checks, permitting ZK-Snarks and other cryptographic mathemagic™
- Support for big integer modular exponentiation, enabling RSA signature verification and other cryptographic applications
- Support for variable length return values
- Addition of the ‘STATICCALL’ opcode, permitting non-state-changing calls to other contracts
- Changes to the difficulty adjustment formula to take uncles into account
- Delay of the ice age / difficulty bomb by 1 year, and reduction of block reward from 5 to 3 ether