Alibaba Group is a Chinese public company working in the field of Internet commerce, the owner of B2B web portal Alibaba.com. This is one the world-largest internet companies.
- Alibaba Pictures
- Alibaba Cloud Computing
- China Yahoo!
On 11.11.16, Alibaba beat it own record - company was able to process 175 000 transactions per second. A lot of Alibaba’s e-Commerce app use Java. To cater for the specific needs to run these applications, team identified the requirements and optimized these features on the customized version of HotSpot (OpenJDK based).
At this report, Sanhong talked about:
- how they characterize workloads to identify specific needs;
- optimization and customizing HotSpot for Java apps.
Alibaba's team identified three specific features useful for their needs:
- put multiple containers into one JVM instance, which allows to deploy many small Java applications in large scale, across data centers,
- use coroutines (from Da Vinci Machine project) to reduce context switches,
- implement quick Java warmup to obviate the need for "warming-up" occurred in initialization phase of the eCommerce applications