Great news for Java developers! New major release of one of the most popular programming languages is out now!
— Java (@java) 21 сентября 2017 г.
Java SE 9 is the latest update to the Java Platform. This release includes much awaited new features like the modularization of the Java Platform, better performance, support for new standards, and many other improvements.
- New, controversial modularity capabilities are based on Project Jigsaw. Modularity—in the form of the Java Platform Module System—divides the JDK into a set of modules for combining at run, compile, or build time. Modularity has been called a “transitive” change, enabling understanding of dependencies across modules. This feature is designed to let developers more easily assemble and maintain sophisticated applications.
- Compiler improvements for Java 9 code
- The Java 9 upgrade features several new capabilities for compiling code, chief among them is ahead-of-time (AoT) compilation. This is in an experimental phase, this feature enables compilation of Java classes to native code before being launched in the virtual machine. This feature is designed to improve startup time of both small and large applications, with limited impact on peak performance.
- Java 9 has a read-eval-print loop (REPL) tool. Java 9’s REPL is called jShell. It interactively evaluates declarative statements and expressions. Developers can get feedback on programs before compilation just by entering some lines of code
And some smaller updates and improvements:
- Steam API improved
- HTTP/2 client support
- HTML5 and unicode support improved
- DTLS security API is added
Learn more at official website.