Is an open-source blockchain-based distributed computing platform featuring smart contract functionality, which facilitates online contractual agreements
A free, open-source, client-side interface for generating Ethereum wallets, MyEtherWallet, argued that it had not been hacked on Twitter, July 21th.
We have *NOT* been hacked.
Anyone saying otherwise is a phisher / believed a phisher.
Stay wary of links. Stay safe.https://t.co/Jgg5WlyjT2
— MyEtherWallet.com (@myetherwallet) 21 июля 2017 г.
Distributed database that is used to maintain a continuously growing list of records, called blocks
However, the very next day the company posted another tweet concerning fake MyEtherWallet support. As shown, the team bewares users of scam messages on Slack and via email claiming that the true support team has names and does not message first.
BEWARE! We will NEVER message you on Slack nor via email w/o you msging us first. Watch yourself & half fun with these worthless phishers pic.twitter.com/pZSDS8s1UP
— MyEtherWallet.com (@myetherwallet) 22 июля 2017 г.
Thus, MyEtherWallet team published a guide on how to protect yourself and your funds, giving the clients some useful advice including the following:
- Get yourself a Ledger or Trezor Hardware wallet.
- Bookmark your crypto sites.
- Use MEW Locally / Offline.
- Do not trust messages or addresses or URLs sent via private message. Always verify information w/ a secondary source.
- Turn on 2FA for everything.
- For Token Sales: do not trust any address except the one posted on the official site.
- Double check the URL & Triple check Github URLs.
- Always verify that the site you landed on is legit.
- Google the service name + "scam" or "reviews"
- Don't ever run remote-access software (e.g. TeamViewer)
- Don't use brain wallets
- Install an adblocker that actually turns off Google/Bing Ads.
- Don’t click on advertisements.
- If you have accidentally visited or typed a malicious site, clean out your recent history and autocomplete.
- No one is giving you free or discounted ETH.
- The guys who just finish their token sale don't want to sell you tokens via Slack DM.
- Download the MEW Chrome Extension
- ONLY unlock your wallet when you want to send a transaction. Check your balance via https://etherscan.io/, https://ethplorer.io/
On top of that, MyEtherWallet team also recommends using your brain.