Jolla, founded by former Nokia employees to develop new smartphones based on the MeeGo Linux platform, released of the Sailfish 3.0.1 operating system. Assemblies are prepared for devices Jolla 1, Jolla C, Sony Xperia X, Xperia XA2, Xperia XA2 Ultra and Xperia XA2 Plus, and are already available in the form of an OTA update.
Sailfish uses a graphical stack based on Wayland and the Qt5 library, the system environment is built on the basis of Mer (fork MeeGo) and packages of the Mer distribution package Nemo. The user shell, basic mobile applications, QML-components for building the Silica graphical interface, an interlayer for launching Android applications, a smart text input engine and a data synchronization system are proprietary, but their code was planned to be opened last year.
In the new version:
- A firewall is offered, offering different settings depending on the type of connection.
- A tool for creating bright interface styles has been added to the image gallery.
- The image editing dialog has been redesigned, providing functions such as cropping, rotating, changing brightness, and normalizing contrast.
- Added a background blur effect under the information blocks to the main menu, list of applications and system dialogs.
- Redesigned calendar scheduler. Added processing of invitations for meetings sent via Active Sync or Google services;
- The mail client provides the ability to create, rename and delete folders. Sync option added to context menu for accounts;
- Added support for reading NFC tags;
- Implemented the ability to enable access point mode (hotspot) when there is no connection to the mobile operator’s network.
- Support for the M4A audio format has been added to the MTP protocol implementation.