The Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) is to hold the "Blockchain Business Camp Tokyo" accelerator program for foreign companies that possess advanced blockchain technology in such areas as transactions, securities, IoT, supply chains and the sharing economy. As reported, the TMG aims at this intensive three-month program to generate groundbreaking innovation.
In general, the development is a great milestone for Japan as this spring, lawmakers finalized and passed a law recognizing Bitcoin as a kind of payment method, setting the stage for a number of companies in the country to trial accepting it in stores. In addition, last month, regulators issued licenses to 11 Bitcoin exchanges.
As detailed, the application period for the accelerator will last until November 24. Five companies are expected to join, and those selected will be notified in December ahead of the program's commencement the following month.
The technologies and services of the foreign companies participating in the program (about five companies) will be advertised for an extended period using digital signage located around Shinjuku and Tokyo stations in the heart of Tokyo, and support will be extended to foreign companies that decide to establish their business in Tokyo.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government
The accelerator will last until March, according to statements.
- October 20, 2017: Begin accepting applications
- November 24, 2017: Application deadline
- December 2017: Announcement of companies selected for the program (about five companies)
- January 2018: Introductory seminar
- January - March 2018: Blockchain Business Camp Tokyo (mentoring, creating a business plan, networking event(s), connecting with businesses in Tokyo)
- March 2018: Presentation of business plans (open to the public)