The next release of the Ubuntu with long-term support (LTS) will be version 18.04. A plan is published with the dates of the main stages of the release.
Recently, the code name for the next release of Ubuntu was announced - "Bionic Beaver". In Ubuntu 18.04, the GNOME 3.28 working environment is expected (this will be the first UTS LTS release without Unity by default for a long time) and the Linux kernel 4.15.
As follows from the version - 18.04, - the final release is planned for April next year, and the plan for its preparation is as follows:
- January 4 - Alpha 1 (for selected editions);
- February 1 - Alpha 2 (for selected editions);
- March 1 - "freeze" of opportunities (Feature Freeze, Debian Import Freeze);
- March 8 - Beta 1 (for selected editions);
- April 5 - the final beta;
- April 19 - Release Candidate;
- April 26 - the final release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
The development of Ubuntu 18.04 formally started on Friday, October 27.